Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The official Barmouth & Dyffryn United FC app


1st Team - Match centre

adidas lockerroom
Barmouth & Dyffryn United FC
Llay Welfare
Llay Welfare win 3 - 4 on penalties. Sat 4 Aug 13:30 - Friendly Full time Attendance 200

Visitors take the Challenge Cup after Penalties

Llay Welfare Win on pens after 90 minuets couldn’t separate both sides

Saturday saw Carl Ryan and the boys take on Llay Welfare of the Welsh National Premier.

Before the game Assistant Manager Paul Lewis was presented with the Player of the Year Trophy.

The game was help between both teams in memory the late John Parry, who served both of teams with distinction.

John was a long-standing member of Llay Welfare FC where he started his career as a 17-year old attacking wing half, forming what was said to be a fearsome half-back line with his brothers, Mac and Gren.

He was a cultured player and a great passer of the ball and, with his brothers, was instrumental in winning the Welsh National League and Cup double in the 1962-63 season.

Following stints playing in the Central Wales League for Barmouth & Dyffryn United FC, winning League and Cup honours and becoming a firm favourite with the fans, he returned to play for Llay in the mid 70s before becoming a Manager. After his sporting career finished, he became a Trustee and Chairman of the Miners Institute.

He will be sadly missed by us all

The match began with the visitors pressing high and causing all kind of problems for the magpies makeshift defence, missing defender Stephen Bratt and goalkeeper Adam Walters, with Jono Harrison and Alex Evans standing in. As the match grew it saw the boys being able to stretch the visitors with young Ben Fisher and Nathan Porter playing as wingbacks, but ultimately chances were scarce for both teams in the first half.

The second half was a different story, Carl Ryan decided to take his half time team talk out side in the sunshine, which mite of made a difference. It began with a difference in shade Carl opting for a convencial back 4, which had an instant impact, in the first 5 minuets Paul Lewis and came close, and on the hour he was put through on goal with a wonderful pass by midfielder Dave Linstead, Paul took a touch and fired it past the keeper into the goal. It wasn’t long until Llay would bring the score back even, Barmouth giving away a free kick 35 yards out, keeper Alex Evans organised his wall, but before he could position himself the ball was hit around the wall, and found its way into the net. Substitute George Townshend would come close twice with a header that hit the bar and an effort that was saved by the goalkeeper.

With the match ending all square, Referee Colin Dykes indicated that we would go to penalties. Llay would win the shootout 4-2 and collect the annual Challenge Cup Trophy.

We wits Llay all the best for the coming season and we are sure to take them up on there invitation of a reverse fixture next year.

The Magpies are back in action this Wednesday when Machynlleth are the visitors to The Wern Mynach, 6:00 Kickoff.

Come down and support the team in their final preseason game ahead of the season opener next Saturday at home to Prestatyn.

Team selection

Team selection has not been published for this fixture yet.


Loading comments

Team sponsor


Club sponsors