Sat 31
Abermule FC
1st Team
Magpies through to next round

Magpies through to next round

By Shon Hughes
Share via

Late Paps Pen sends Magpies into next round

Following the disappointment of the Felinheli defeat midweek, Barmouth found themselves travelling to Abermule FC in the Central Section of the qualifying round for the JD Welsh Cup, the only club from the North Traveling South!

The boys arrived at the Abermule Community Pitch in good time, and it was a pleasant site, a well kept pitch which would suite Barmouth’s style of play.

The match marked a special occasion for the club and the Jones family from Harlech, following Joey’s return in the off season, last weeks signing of his older Brother Carwyn from Porthmadog, along with Billy who had signed at the beginning of preseason, saw all 3 brothers play in black and white together, something that has not happened in this club before.

Due to the relentless August schedule, manager Iolo Owen was forced into making changes, Ste Bratt a casualty of the Felinheli game, having sustained a rib injury. Also missing was striker Shane Jones, which left a weaken side, to add to the complexity Bobby Griffith would withdraw from the starting line up during the warm up with a knee injury.

From the start it was clear the Magpies were a far superior side, the first 10’ saw them move the ball around like the opposition wasn’t there, but only creating the odd speculative effort, this would be the theme of the entire match. As the first half ended the Barmouth had around 90% possession but nothing to show for it.

The second half was much the same, the home side struggled to get on the ball, when they did they would send it over the top only for Jono and Carwyn to collect and begin a passing move through Joey, the issue was clear they didn’t have much threat in the final third. Ben Robinson, who signed for the Magpies on Friday was thrown in at the deep end following Bobby’s withdrawal, he did a valiant job leading the attack against an solid Abermule back line, but it was clear he wasn’t match fit, and with ten minutes to go Iolo made the change, Bobby on foe Ben R. The change had an impact, seconds after coming Bobby had broken through and won a corner, and with five minutes left found himself through on goal only to be brought down by the keeper and awarded a clear cut penalty. Andrew Papirnyk would take the penalty, he calmly placed the ball on the spot, took a short run up, then fired the ball high into the side netting, the keeper dived the right way but had no chance. The last five minutes saw the home side try a throw the kitchen sink at Barmouth, but it was to late, and it would be the Magpies who move on to the next round.

The draw for the next round will be later this week.

The Magpies will have the weekend off next week due to the international break, which is sure to give the lads time to recover after a really hard August witch saw the lads travel to Llannefydd, Llandudno Junction, Pwllheli, Felinheli and Abermule on top of the two home games a total of over 250 miles and 630 minutes of football.

Share via

Match details

Match date

Sat 31, Aug 2019